Tuesday, November 1, 2011

General Conference October 2011

This last October General Conference was a very unique experience for me. I told my roommates that all I wanted for my birthday was to spend the day at Temple Square and attend conference in the Conference Center. I love even just being at Temple Square during General Conference weekend and feeling the air of excitement about hearing the words of the prophets.

So, bright and early (or should I say dark and early?) Saturday morning, Sharon, Lacie, Rebekah and I headed off to Salt Lake. Our arrival was greeted my a Church photographer, who had fun taking pictures of us by the temple. Then we spent a little time exploring the Visitors' Centers before enjoying the first session in the Tabernacle. I always enjoy watching Conference in the Tabernacle, where the former prophets spoke and feel their testimonies as I do.


The best part of Conference was arguably the announcement that the Provo Tabernacle, which was severely damaged by fire last winter will be fully restored--as a temple!! When President Monson gave the news, me and Beka just sat there bawling. We had been saying that Provo needed another temple for as long as we could remember, and we love the tabernacle, so it was the perfect solution. In fact, the week before it burned down we had attended an organ recital there.

Beka had an extra ticket for the afternoon session in the Conference Center, so I joined her there and Sharon and Lacie got in standby.

We spent the rest of the day enjoying the sites at Temple Square. We visited the Museum of Church History and the Beehive House and ended our trip with dinner at the Lion House (the mint brownies were to die for!)

The interesting thing this time around was that no message in particular stuck out to me. Rather, I simply gained a testimony that the prophets and apostles are truly the servants of God. I hesitate to call them "regular men," but they are just "regular men" like you and me. However, they are endowed with the Spirit of God and are called to bear witness of His divinity. President Monson is a true prophet called to lead and guide us through our struggles through mortality. The apostles carry similar roles and will never lead us astray. I know this with all my heart and embrace their inspired messages and testimonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment