Monday, June 3, 2013

BIG NEWS from the WEM

Dear Family and Friends,

So here is the BIG NEWS (in the form of a novel/dialogue/play?):


It was the Thursday night before transfers and Sister Cromar and I knew that leadership calls were afoot. However, we knew that we were safe because missionaries Church-wide now have a twelve week training program because the shortened MTC time. We returned home after our days activities and did our daily planning. Around 9:45 p.m., the phone rang. It was the Zone Leaders and I exclaimed: "You have got to be kidding me!" Sister Cromar answered the phone.

S. Cromar: Hello, this is Sister Cromar.
ZL: Hi Sister Cromar, this is E. Rencher. We are calling to let you know that you have been asked to train.
S. Cromar: Seriously? That is crazy.
ZL: I know, because you are already training! But you are going to be training a new Sister! Isn't that awesome? So you will need to be at trainer's training tomorrow in Mill Creek at one.
S. Cromar: Yeah, ok. What is happening to Sister Turley?
ZL: We aren't sure yet, but we will call you as soon as we know.
Hangs up the phone. Phone rings (the ZLs)
S. Cromar: Hello, this is Sister Cromar.
ZL: Hello Sister Cromar. We need to talk to Sister Turley too.
S. Turley: Hello, this is Sister Turley
ZL: Hi Sister Turley, you have also been called to be a trainer.
S. Turley: Are you serious right now?
ZL: Yep! So you will need to be a trainer's training in Mill Creek tomorrow as well. This is so crazy! You have only been out for six weeks, this is awesome!
*General freaking out on both ends of the line...*
ZL: The Lord trusts you guys! This doesn't happen!
More general freaking out on both ends of the line and wishes of good luck and congratulations. Hang up phone.

Turns out, there are 9 new Sisters coming into the mission and only 5 who were available to train. We also found out from the Sister Trainer Leaders that President told them that there were not going to be any three packs of sisters. So, I am training. It is so weird to try to come to terms with the reality of that. On the bright side, I will get to see Elder Bloomfield tomorrow and on Friday for New Missionary Training! Craziness. Nervousness. Excitement. Cup running over. Sister Cromar said it right (not for the faint at heart. . .): "I think I am going to poop my pants!"


There has been a lot on my mind the last few days with the call to train and transfers coming up. I am incredibly nervous but grateful for this call. I hope that I can live up to all that the Lord wants me to do and be. As I was reading the leadership section of the white missionary handbook, I had two thoughts. The first was that the companion that I get to train will have been prepared for me to her trainer. She will be prepared for my inadequacies and lack of experience and at the same time, prepared for what I do know and have a testimony of. The second thing was in D&C 121 (Lari--esp. verses 34-end) which is suggested as reading in the white handbook on leadership. I was the Sister Trainer Leader in my branch in the MTC, so I became familiar with that section while I was there, but I decided to read it again. I love the promise made in verse 46 that says "The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion . . . and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever." I love that as we live to be receptive of the Spirit and do as it directs, we will be privileged to receive the blessings that flow to us unimpeded. They will just come! That doctrine is going to be CRUCIAL in the coming weeks. To seek direction from the Spirit in ALL things because I definitely need the help and direction. I am grateful that the Lord trusts me to train right now. I know that I can do it because He has asked me to. One of my favorite scriptures is Philippians 4:13 which reads, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." I have a testimony of that. It is not always made easy, but it is made doable. So many thoughts, but the following thought was also interesting and encouraging to me. The Spirit often speaks to me through words or tunes from hymns. On Friday morning after leadership calls, I woke up with the tune to "Sweet is the Work" and the first line "Sweet is the work, my God, my King" running through my mind. The work is sweet and I hope that as I continue to work hard and build my foundation more firmly on Christ that it will become even sweeter.


Our investigator, Sandra, is so amazing to me. Her testimony is so strong and pure. We had a church tour with her on Saturday and as we concluded, we invited her to pray. As she did, she expressed to our Heavenly Father "I will do all that is asked of me." She choked up as she said this and it was with such conviction that I know she will. She truly understands the commandments and their importance and all that she has been taught of the Gospel to this point. Sister Cromar and I informed her yesterday that one of us would be leaving on Tuesday and she said, "I'll be okay, just go and do the Lord's work." She loves the missionaries, but she loves the Gospel more. We have started teaching her son, Alex, the lessons as well and we invited him to be baptized with his mother which he accepted. We hope that he will continue pray and receive confirmation that this is the true Church of God. He asks wonderful questions and as we asked him if he believed what we had taught him, he said "Yes. I just all makes sense." I am so grateful for these prepared individuals that we continue to meet. The field truly is white, ready to harvest. 


We had a miracle yesterday at church too. One of the ten year old girls that we have on date for baptism is the daughter of returning less active members. The dad works every Sunday so we have not seen him at church, and the mother and two girls didn't show up the last two weeks. BAD when they are on date! But the whole family showed up yesterday and stayed for all three meetings! The dad had somehow gotten off work early and was able to make it. Such a miracle! Also, a less active woman that we have been meeting with showed up for all three meetings yesterday as well. I can't believe how spoiled we were! And if that wasn't enough, we taught the Gospel Principles lesson yesterday on Repentance. The Spirit was so strong as nearly everyone in the class shared their testimonies. We didn't get through very much of the lesson as teachers, but it was all covered by the testimonies and comments of the people in the class. I loved it and wish that every lesson could be like that.


I am sad to see Sister Cromar go, but I am thankful for the example and help that she has been to me in the last six weeks. I have learned a lot and look forward to learning more in my new companionship.


I hope that you are all doing well and finding success in your various stations!

Love ya!
Sister Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment