Monday, July 15, 2013

S. Turley in the WEM July 15th

Dear Family and Friends,

This week was so much better than last! Our numbers shot up and we had FIVE new investigators this week. Sister Slade and I came to the conclusion that it was because we both made a concerted effort to work together and establish a working relationship. Everything went better. I did a lot of praying and I am grateful that the Lord saw fit to bless us for our hard work.

WE GOT SANDRA BACK! We had a lesson with her on Friday afternoon and she greeted us at the door with, "I have decided that I do not want to take the lessons anymore." But she invited us in so we could sit down and she could explain herself. Our conversation was definitely guided by the Spirit, and we were given the things that we needed to say right when we needed them. I think the most important thing that we shared with her was a thought that keep coming to my mind as we talked with her. It was this: "Our acceptance of the teachings in the Pearl of Great Price that are, to put it nicely, rather confusing, but it is just an extension of our testimony that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. If that is true, then the revelations that he received (including the Pearl of Great Price) are true as well, because they were revealed to him in the sphere of his calling as a prophet of God. She said that she had actually thought that, and asked herself if she was willing to throw away all of the blessings of the Gospel over her concern with the book of Abraham, because she shared that she knows Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God. At the end of the lesson, she said to us, "I'll tell you what. How about you come back next week and we will have the next lesson." Yay, yay, yay, yay!

One of my favorite things I learned in my study this week was in Mosiah 7 (Lari). In this chapter, Limhi (the ruler over the people who left Zarahelma to go back to the land of their inheritance) talks to Ammon (of Zarahemla) and tells him about the sore bondage that he and his people have found themselves in. In verses 18-19, Limhi declares to his people after Ammon and his followers come, "lift up your heads and be comforted...I trust that there remaineth an effectual struggle to be made." I looked up the definition to the word "effectual" and it means "producing, or able to produce, the desired effect." That definition coupled with those verses gave me a lot of strength this week. Because, like it or not, missionary work and life are a struggle. But it is an effectual struggle! We can have the effects produced that we are hoping for! We will triumph if we put our trust and strength in the Lord.

Sorry so short this week, but I love you all!

Sister Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment