This week, we were able to teach Carla again, as well as her husband, Joe. I truly hope that they are earnestly seeking because they are asking all the right questions. They were interested in the Plan of Salvation, so we taught them the first half on Thursday evening. They actually moved our appointment up a week earlier than originally scheduled. Carla loved hearing about the Pre-Earth Life and that we lived with God as Spirits before we came here. She said that was something she had actually contemplated just a few days earlier when her daughter asked her where we came from. Joe asked where our church building was, so we hope that is indicative of an interest to attend church and try it our for himself/themselves.
We also had a second lesson with a woman named Lavina that we tracted into on our first day in this area. During our first meeting, she told us as we left: "I have never invited Mormons into my home before, but when I saw you, I felt the Spirit." The lesson this week was kind of interesting because she wanted it to be more "free-form." We were able to fit a few principles into our answers of her questions. Next time, we plan to use "How To Begin Teaching" more fully and especially explain that when she understands some basics of our faith the answers that she will receive will be more meaningful. She also agreed to attend church next week. I am anxious for that event because she already recognizes the Spirit and hopefully it will be in abundance at Church for her.
Yesterday, we were tracting in an area where a member lives and we decided that we would knock on their door as well. It was really cool, because we had had dinner with the family our first night in the area, but the dad and oldest son were on Safari in Africa (nbd...) so we did not get to meet them that evening. Last night we got to meet the entire family, and without us even suggesting it, the dad encouraged the family to make a goal for the month for doing missionary work. They decided that they are all going to give away a Book of Mormon by October 20th. They said that we could follow-up with them on that goal and we very much look forward to that!
I have continued my studies in Alma this week (Lari) and one of my favorite verses that I have read this week was in Alma chapter 34 verse 16. It explained that our faith has to be "unto repentance" in order to fully apply the Atonement. It is always such a thought-provoking idea to me that faith is a principle of action. But I know that it is. If we don't plant our seed of faith, there is no way that it will grow. Without the action of planting the seed, our faith is good for nothing. But I loved that earlier in the verse that if we do have this faith unto repentance, "mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety." I love that mercy can potentially override justice if we are actively repenting. And I love that we can be "encircled in the arms of safety." It is such a beautiful idea and picture to me. I imagine being encircled in the arms of the Savior who is our safety and foundation in the midst of the storms of life and as we improve ourselves.
Love ya lots!
Sister Turley
PS--Many have asked for my new address. It is the following:
5010 84th St. SW #D21
Mukilteo, WA 98725
These are from our District Pday last Monday. We went to Mukilteo beach and played around and saw the lighthouse!
The District-- Back Row: Elder Wells, Elder Schiess,
Elder Beatty, Sister Smith, Sister Turley
Front Row: Elder Haupu, Sister Tuttle, Sister Lawson
No comments:
Post a Comment