We got lucky this week and John's funeral was right after District Meeting, so we got to attend most of our meeting. Actually, we just went to his burial because his funeral was at the Catholic church in Burlington and when we found out that it was there, it had already started. But it was good to go. When they started lowering his casket into the ground, there was a "weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth" that I had never heard before. When that happened, my heart ached so much for them. I couldn't help but just cry out for the people to the Lord to help them and lift them. My heartache was so intense, that I almost couldn't handle it. I am not sure that I have ever felt any emotion like it. I am grateful to know that his only daughter joined the church a few years ago and will be sure to take care of his work in the temple. That put my mind at ease significantly. I have been afraid that he will get lost.
This week was kind of a bummer. We now have one investigator! We can't seem to keep investigators to save our lives (or our sanity). We try to help ourselves feel better by saying that "100% if our investigators are on date, and 100% our our investigators are progressing" (Dominick). And finding is hard. During accounting with out district leader on Sunday evening he asked what methods we had been using to try and find new investigators, and after we had shared our efforts, he said, "Well, it sounds like you have tried everything. Sorry..." Oh well. We will be studying chapter nine of Preach My Gospel this week.
We had two great lessons with Dominick. He and Alejandra had been suffering the effects of the adversary this week as he has seriously begun to prepare himself for baptism. We were grateful that they had a talk and both recognized that a lot of their trials had intensified since Dominick said "yes" to being baptized. They recognized it and are ready to make a counter-attack. Dominick said that he is not going to let Satan stop him from doing what he knows is right. I am grateful for his faith and dedication. On Saturday evening we shared some mormon.org profiles with him and he was really excited about them and wanted to watch all of them and share them with his dad. He is quite the missionary. We also went over the baptismal interview questions and he is ready.
I had an "aha" moment during my study this week. I have been studying in Ether (the Brother of Jared is my favorite) and I have always wondered why he picked stones to light the barges. I have always thought, "why rocks, that's random" or of one of my aunts saying that her kids were going to be "dumb as rocks" so I never really got it. Until now! It is all symbolism. The Savior is the the rock, the sure foundation on which we are to build. And he likewise lights our path back to our Heavenly Father. It all makes sense, it was not just happenstance that the brother of Jared picked stones to light their way.
Oh yeah, I forgot. The other big news around here is that the Seattle Seahawks are going to the Superbowl. After the game on Sunday night, there were fireworks going off in the neighborhood. It's going to be crazy, but we will have something new and exciting to talk about at doors :) Sister Holt and I broke down and got Seahawks shirts. That is going to be my mission souvenir, haha.
Love you lots and thanks for all you do!
Sister Turley
Exchange with Sister Merrill. Bike helmets and funny hats.
Our good friend, John
Go Seahawks!
No comments:
Post a Comment