Thursday, April 18, 2013

Week #2 - From the Missionary Training Center


Hi Family!
This week has been super crazy! This is the first and only P-day that I will have here. I feel like the schedule is non-stop all day, every day (or "erry day" as one of my companions says). I have two companions here in the MTC, Sister Holt and Sister Lisonbee, and surprisingly, we are also the only sisters in our dorm room. We were expecting new sisters to join us yesterday in our room, but we got lucky! There are three bunk beds and three desks in every room, so we are glad that we still all get a bed and desk to ourselves and little space to spread out. In our district there are three sisters (me and my companions) and five elders (Elder Marshall and Green are going to Everett, and the other three are going to Baltimore, MD). I love our district so much! We all just clicked instanty, and we learn great together and also have a good laugh together (probably more than we should, haha). One of the Elders in our district just turned 18 about two weeks ago. When he walked in all of us sudden I felt really old. But he is super funny and makes us all laugh so much. He may even be the best teacher in our district. He is really good at teaching with the Spirit and portraying love to the investigator. I hope that I can be as good as him! Our distric leader, Elder Marshall, also makes me laugh a lot. He is tall and blond like Emmett and the other day he made a face at me and all I could think was, "Oh my gosh, you are my brother." I had a hard time coming back from that one.  My companions are super great. Sister Holt is from Draper, Utah and believe it or not, we have the same exact birthday. We are totally different but are learning good things from each other. Sister Lisonbee is 19, and I don't think I could have asked for a better companion. She was even our "senior" companion this week. I love when she shares her testimony. It is so pure and heartfelt.
Last Thursday, we met with our branch presidency and they did some zone and district organization for us, and they called me to be the "Sister Training Leader" which is the equivalent to a sister zone leader. So, the last two days I have been in charge of helping do orientations for the new missionaries coming in, in addition to all the other crazy that the MTC is. I am super intimidated by that calling because I have only been here a week, and I am still asking questions about everything myself. But it has been a good opportunity to learn and grow. I don't feel like I am always the quickest to love others, so this has been humbling for me to rely on the Lord to help open my heart to people who are still complete strangers. I have gotten to know the zone leaders, Elders Webb (from San Tan Valley) and Brooks. They are in the other district, but they are going to Everett as well.
We started practicing with investigators practically the first day. At first the investigators were our teachers, but this week we started teaching investigators in the TRC (I think that stands for Teaching Resource Center?). We had a super challenging investigator that just didn't want to do anything. She thought that she needed to figure everything out BEFORE she asked God about it. We came out of our first lesson just feeling sick. She refused to read the Book of Mormon or pray with her husband (in-active member) and even though she said she would pray about the message we left her, she didn't. But yesterday, we had a great turn around. We relied HEAVILLLYY on the Spirit and were successful! We had planned to talk to her a little bit more about Jospeh Smith and the Restoration because she was really hung up on it the last lesson. Thankfully, the Spirit directed otherwise and we were able to answer deeper questions about those topics. We were prompted to teach the Plan of Salvation, contrary to our plans (my companions related afterwards that they had both turned to each other and mouthed "The Plan" as I told her that we would like to teach her about God's plan for us. Even thought be barely got into the lesson, it opened up opportunity for her to ask the questions she really wanted and we really felt the Spirit and I am sure she did too. Then we had her think of a question that she had and read the first chapter of the Book of Mormon with her as she thought about it. She was able to start to really have an experience with the Book of Mormon and soothe some of her fears. I think that the scripture that really rang true with her was Moroni 7:13 (you should read it). She then agreed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. We came out of that lesson holding back tears of relief and gratitude that we had been successful!
I have also been grateful to see one of my besties from BYU, Sister Vanessa Webster several times this week. I know that God is watching out for me to have a good friend here to encourage me!
Well, I have to go teach a training, but thanks for all the letter and packages that you have sent my way! I hope you are all doing well!
Love,
Sister Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment