Dear Family and Friends,
Missions are so interesting. They have a way of putting things in perspective for you. Last week, we were tracting in an apartment complex. Most of the tenants there are political refugees and really poor immigrants from other countries. Building four was filled almost entirely with people from Ukraine. On Sunday, we went to an appointment with Janet (the one from Uganda) and all of building four had been gutted by a fire. It was so sad to think of these people who had so little, losing everything again. It is only the Gospel that can truly help us repair our lives in a way that cannot be destroyed by fire, flood or persecution.
Mike Guzman received the Priesthood yesterday, which is really exciting for their family. They are really progressing. It makes me really happy to see those that I have taught active and progressing in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We took Mike to a lesson with us this last week and it was so cool! He bore a powerful and fervent testimony of baptism and the Holy and Ghost and reading the scriptures regularly. The Spirit was SO strong!
We have mostly been tracting lately. Sadly, most of our investigators are at the point where we cannot justify teaching them much longer if they are not more serious about keeping commitments. But, that is ok. When we let investigators go that are not progressing, we always get new ones in return. Sometimes it is even a 1-3 ratio. For every one investigator we drop, we get three in return. We are getting good practice using the pamphlets at the doorstep so we can more effectively "Teach While We Find."
This week I have been studying the five lessons again. I have been trying to take it one principle at a time. I have been reading the section, then writing a three sentence summary. Then I have been reading the scriptures and really trying to find something new in them. I sometimes feel that I have read all of the scriptures a million times and know what they are trying to say, so I do not put as much effort in. But as I have really striven to learn something new, the scriptures light up! And then I have been writing a one sentence testimony as an example of something that I could say when we are teaching with the pamphlets. Something that is not too long, but invites the Spirit. I have enjoyed thinking of my testimony in one sentence because it helps me focus on what is the most important thing to me in each principle. A single sentence does not go into a lot of detail, but it is the most distilled and purified version of what I know to be true, so it brings the most power. I know the Gospel is true, and it brings me a lot of joy to know that. These are testimonies that I have written so far:
-I know that God loves us and wants us to be happy and sent His Son to make that possible.
-I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families by bringing peace and happiness now and in eternity.
Love ya lots! Have a great week :)
Sister Turley
No comments:
Post a Comment