Monday, July 14, 2014

WEM Once Again--S. Turley

Dear Family and Friends,

I was a little bit sick this week with a cold. Don't ask me how I got a cold in the middle of the summer, I don't know. Thankfully, Sister Cunningham did not get it. It didn't stop us from doing any of our missionary tasks, but I was feeling pretty crummy. We helped out at a church tour for a new ward building in our stake on Saturday so I asked the Elders for a blessing while I was there. I was grateful that I did! It was a really great blessing and I was reminded about things that I need to work on and not to worry about other things. I am grateful that I heeded the prompting. I really needed it. We had already gotten in the car to leave when I decided that I needed to go back and ask.

On Sunday, our "family" sang at cottage meeting. Sister Cromar and all us babies (the Sisters she trained) sang "Be Still My Soul." It was really fun to all be together before she leaves in two weeks.

The Guzmans are still progressing and doing well. They have such wonderful member friends! The Paynes came with us to their second lesson and were immediate friends to them. The Paynes had actually shown up early and went on in without waiting for us. When we got inside, they were already chatting and laughing and had offered the Guzmans a ride to church (they do not have transportation). They invited all of us over for FHE tonight. I am grateful for the Paynes example of diligently doing all they can to help another family feel comfortable and welcome in the church and also making sure they are continually nourished by the good word of God. They are such a great example!

I feel like I don't really have much to say. I am doing well and having fun and love my companion. Some of our goals are to be more diligent and EXACTLY obedient. Now is our time to shine!

 I really loved in my studies in Alma this week about Zeniff. I noticed a lot of different things about him that I never had before. I love that he admits in his record that he was prideful, yet also he bears a testimony that I never recognized him having. He is kind of like me. Sometimes a little prideful, but can recognize and change it. I also loved his explanation to his followers about why the Lamanites hated the Nephites. In Mosiah 10:13 he says "Nephi was more faithful...therefore he was favored of the Lord." I looked up the definition of "favored" and it means "enjoying special advantages." Some of the special advantages that Nephi enjoyed because of his faithfulness and willingness to follow the commandments were blessings, guidance, dominion over many things, protection, communion with the Lord, etc. The Lamanites were jealous of those many advantages (which was their fault that they did not receive), and so they hated their brethren and fought for a thousand years against them. I need to keeping working hard and work harder to exercise faith and obedience like Nephi's so I can enjoy those advantages, especially in this the Lord's work. I am grateful that I can try again every day.

Thanks for your prayers and love!
Sister Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment