Monday, September 15, 2014

Surprise, Surprise--S. Turley

Dear Family and Friends,

Well, we ended up at transfers even though neither of us got transferred. About twenty minutes before, we got a text from the Assistants saying that we needed to come to the mission office and pick up our third companion. So I am three-packing again. Our new companion is Sister Glancy. She is my grandbaby (I trained her trainer, Sister Slade). Three packs are hard and we had some major drama this week, but I think the worst is over and we should be able to be happy and successful now. We got over the selfish so now we can be selfless.

We found two awesome new investigators. They are part of a Part-Member Family. The husband and mother-in-law are less active members. The husband does not have any interest to return, but the grandmother has been trying to find the church again for a long time. She somehow got lost in a move across the country. The two investigators are Shawna and her son, James. We taught the first lesson to them on Tuesday, and they said that they already believed everything we taught was true. James has even read the Book of Mormon and remembers almost all of it. It is pretty amazing. They both set goals yesterday in our lesson to read the Book of Mormon daily. I am hopeful that they will be able to be baptized soon and enjoy the blessings of the Gospel more fully in their lives.

We are trying to think of creative finding methods for three people, because tracting with three can get intimidating pretty quick. We have used the "triangle" tracting method a few times, where two knock on the door and the other street contacts in front of the house, but there are not too many people on the streets in the quiet neighborhood areas. 

This week I have really enjoyed the missionary instructions from the example of the sons of Mosiah. I have also been reading in chapter 1 of Preach My Gospel, "My Purpose." What really stood out to me is that everyone has spiritual needs. I have really tried to make an effort to understand the spiritual needs of those that we are teaching and come in contact with. Everyone has them and a lot of people do not even recognize that those needs exist and they need to be met. I really liked reading Alma 22 in this light. To help discern the needs of King Lamoni's father, Aaron asked all sorts of questions and instructed him accordingly. It is also interesting that while Lamoni lay for three days under the influence of the Spirit, Aaron raised his father almost immediately so he could testify and help meet the specific needs of the other people in the area. I also found it interesting and slightly amusing in chapter 20 where Ammon and the father of King Lamoni duel, because that was also meeting the King's spiritual needs. He needed to have his life threatened in order to receive the Gospel in his life. Odd, but God knows what he is doing and how we can help all of His children here on earth.

Yesterday, Mike Guzman spoke at cottage meeting and he did so well! The Spirit was so strong as he shared his experience coming into the church and I know he touched many as he did so. I was so proud!

Everet and Darlene attended the temple for the first time last week in Snowflake, AZ. I am so grateful that my good grandparents were able to go and support some of my best friends and represent me on this special occasion :) Thanks for doing that!

Love you lots!
Sister Turley


No comments:

Post a Comment