Sunday, November 16, 2014

Temples and Why I Love Them

As a missionary, there were days where I would think, "I really. need. to go to the temple!" You can imagine my delight when after returning home to good ol' Gilbert I was able to attend the brand new temple just a few miles from my house.

You may wonder, why does she love temples? Temples are the House of the Lord. In them, the Spirit abounds. The world waits outside as I bask in my Father's love and the Spirit that attends each sacred ordinance. I love that I have the opportunity to serve those who did not have the opportunity to receive the blessings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that I enjoy in my life. In the temple, families can be sealed for eternity.

I have been so blessed recently to be able to participate in and witness many happy, sacred ordinances. On Halloween I was able to take my youngest brother to the temple for the first time to do baptisms on behalf of those who are dead. It was really special to see the names of the people for whom he was baptized. The individuals lived over three hundred years ago in France. I could not help but think that they had been waiting those long centuries for their work to be done and how grateful they were to Griffin for being worthy and willing to serve in the temple. The first weekend of November, I was able to witness the sealing of my youngest cousin to my aunt and uncle. Her adoption had been finalized just a few days before. I loved watching the ceremony and knowing that she is 100% part of our family--for now and for ever. She is a Hunt! A week later, my mom's cousin went through the temple for her own endowment. I loved being with my family at the end of the session and feeling a little bit of what it will be like when we have all lived according to God's commandments and get to be together in Heaven. And last, but certainly not least, today was the dedication of the Phoenix Arizona temple. I felt so close to my Father in Heaven as well as early Saints who made sacrifices to attend the temple, those who dedicated time and means to the church in order for it to be built, my fellow temple-goers and to my Savior.

I am grateful for that little piece of Heaven on Earth.


Grandma Hunt and her oldest and youngest grandchildren.

Griffin's first time at the Gilbert Arizona Temple.

1 comment:

  1. Cherise, I thought of you today as I watched the dedication of the Phoenix Arizona temple from our Branch here in Young, Arizona. What a beautiful dedication. Temples truly are little pieces of Heaven here on Earth. I really love being able to participate in the sacred ordinances and feeling Heavenly Fathers love as I enter the temple. We love and miss you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete