Monday, May 6, 2013

More from the WEM.

Dear Fam/Friends,

We had another great week last week. We were busy with lots of lessons and continuing to get to know the members and establishing relationships of trust and love with them. We have continued to feel welcomed and blessed to be here. I believe that our efforts with the members have been successful as we have received several referrals from them. We are excited to see where they lead us.  We have two investigators on date for baptism in about the next month. Both are 10 year old girls who are daughters of returning members. The first, Kelli, was SO excited when we invited her to be baptized. Her eyes just lit up like you would not believe. She is so excited to learn and loves church and the Gospel. The second is named Rowan, her parents just recently decided that they wanted to go back to church. She as well is excited to learn and be baptized. The dad is working to be able to baptize her. We are so excited for what that will mean for their family! We are working hard, but are struggling to find new investigators. We have several potentials, but very few that we have been able to set a return appointments with. We have found many through tracting and street contacting and quite a few as well that are Part Member Families. We pray that their hearts will be opened and prepared to receive the message we have for them.

In my personal study, I have continued to enjoy and be amazed with the journey of Lehi and his famiy to the promised land. I love that the Lord continually blesses their family, literally with EVERYTHING they need to be successful as they are obedient. Food in the land Bountiful (1 Ne. 17:5), animals and ores for their benefit in the promised land (1 Ne.18:25), and direction as they go throughout their journey (liahona--1 Ne. 16:16, 26-29). As I read these chapters this week, I never ceased to be amazed that Heavenly Father is so generous and so desires to bless us. I can't even imagine what a pleasant surprise that must have been for Lehi and his family to find that everything that they needed was in the promised land for them. It was probably a trying thought to think that they were going to have to start everything over. But everything they needed was given to them so their faith could grow and they could be successful. That gives me great comfort as a missionary, that as long as I give my all and strive to follow God and His direction, that I will continue to be blessed with everything I need to be successful, both spiritually and temporally.

On Saturday, we were able to go to Mill Creek (where the mission office is) and have mission conference with Elder Aidukaitis of the First Quorum of the Seventy. He is originally from Brazil. He has the most hearty laugh and laughed at all his jokes and just left us in a better mood that we were in and ready to go forth with the work. His enthusiasm is infectious!  I think the greatest thing that I learned is to continue to go forth doing the work with ALL your soul, effort and might. The Lord has promised us such powerful blessings if we are willing to "pay the price to realize the blessings," as Elder Aidukaitis mentioned. I desire to have those blessings of being able to bring others to Christ and have sheaves on my back. As we have gone through our work the last two days, the line that he spoke, "knock one more door" has kind of directed my work in remembering to give all my effort. One more door could mean everything to our success and sense of fulfillment.

My exchange on Wednesday went well. I learned a lot and was grateful for the teaching and learning experiences that I was able to have. We taught one lesson that got me really excited because the woman was just so enthusiastic about learning and hearing the message of the Gospel. I gave me hope that we will find those who are ready and prepared, because like I mentioned before it has kind of been a struggle for us. But there are prepared people out there. We just have to keep working.

On Friday, we had a second lesson with a returning less active in our ward. He had been less active for about 40 years and decided that it is high time for him to come back. He said that his testimony has never faltered but that he has often felt unworthy to return to activity. During our lesson we taught about the Restoration and that God is so excited for him to come back and is pleased with even our smallest steps to return to Him. Our bishop was able to sit in with us and was a great resource for us. At the end of the lesson, the bishop expressed his love and encouragement to the brother in our ward, and after he had done so, I felt prompted to do the same. As I testified that we as missionaries love him and that God loves him, I was overcome with the Spirit and was able to feel God's genuine love for him. I love those small moments of clarity when we are blessed to receive just a small portion of the love that God has for everyone one of us. The small measure is so overwhelming that I can't even imagine what it feels like to be able to receive all of it. By the end of the lesson, everyone in the room was weeping because the Spirit was so strong and testified so deeply to us the truth of our words and His eternal love for us.

I pray for you all and hope that all is going well for you! I love you lots!
Love!
Sister Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment