I am so sorry that you did not get a letter from me yesterday! It was Memorial Day and the library was closed!
Last week was a little more rough than the previous weeks have been. We have realized the difficulty of missionary work and also the discouragement that comes when those whom you have taught choose not to accept the truth. We had one day where all of our appointments cancelled and we were dropped by two of our investigators. It was especially discouraging when one investigator dropped us because about three hours before we had had a lesson with him and the Spirit was really starting to work on him. As we were teaching, the thought "it's ringing true" came very distinctly to me. My heart was just very sad as we had this experience. It made me think of how sad our Father in Heaven must be as well when his children choose not to act on the truth they have received. However, this week was also very rewarding. We have made great progress with Sis. Smith and her son, Alex. While we were at church on Sunday, she noted that she recognized the adversary working on her harder now that she was making the choice to progress in the Gospel. It was a great learning and testimony building experience to share with her that the adversary knows that she is making righteous decisions and not be discouraged by it, but to keep going on strong, which I have full faith that she will. I shared with her my experience of coming on a mission and that it seemed the closer I got to reporting to the MTC, the more Satan worked on me and especially on my family to the point where I questioned whether or not my decision to go on a mission was right, but that my righteous decision has blessed my life more than I can explain.
On Sunday evening, we had a special mission fireside that we were encouraged to invite investigators to. There is an Elder Schmidt in our mission and it turns out that his dad is none other than pianist Jon Schmidt. Brother Schmidt put on the fireside this weekend after a few concerts that he and the piano guys played in Seattle this weekend. It was such a cool experience. We invited Sis. Smith and Alex to attend and it was EXACTLY what they needed to hear. At the end of the fireside, us missionaries sang "Onward Christian Soldiers" as Bro. Schmidt played an arrangement of his and the Spirit was really strong. Sis. Smith could not get over how much she loved it. I loved the car ride up too (it was in Arlington). We talked and laughed and learned together the whole time. I truly felt like the Smiths were my family. And I realized as I have thought about it that they are. We are all brothers and sisters and I cannot wait to share eternity with them as well as my biological family.
We had our first baptism (Kelli, 10 y.o.) on Saturday. It was such a beautiful, positive experience. The Spirit was strong and all of Kelli's family was edified. What a blessing the Spirit is to calm us and reassure us as we make the right choices! Her mother was kind of nervous and on edge going into it, but I know that she felt the Spirit was as happy as the rest of us that day. Kelli had a smile on her face all day and I hope that she remembers the Spirit and peace she felt.
The other day as I was studying, I came across 2 Nephi 9:40 (all of chapter 9 is great) which reads, "I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken." I am grateful that as I am living my life the way I should, I find that I am learning to love the truth more and more. I am grateful for it, and wish that everyone would love and accept it too. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us and has created a plan for us to receive a fullness of that love, which never ceases to amaze me. The truth is so beautiful!
Sister Cromar and I are still working hard and doing all that we can. We are determined to meet the mission goal of having ten progressing investigators a week and are constantly thinking of new ideas to reach that goal. We currently only have one progressing, so it is going to take extra faith and extra work in the coming weeks.
I hope that you are all doing well and keeping the faith!
Love you all!
Sister Turley
Me, Sister Cromar, Brother Jon Schmidt and Alex
No comments:
Post a Comment