Monday, October 14, 2013

S. Turley--WEM Happenings

Dear Family and Friends,

This week I believe was a trial of our faith; it was a trial and required faith. But we saw some pretty awesome miracles! We were not able to have a scheduled appointment with any of our investigators, but some good experiences otherwise.

 We had one lesson planned with Lavina and Nikhil, but Lavina ended up getting sick (really sick) so we ended up postponing until next week. When we talked to her on the phone, she said that she didn't know if she would be able to make it to church. We were sad, but then had a great idea to involve the members to help her get there. Sister Carey had gone to a lesson with us previously and mentioned that her grandson was going to be blessed in Sacrament meeting this week. When we talked to Sister Carey, she was more than willing to call Lavina and invite her to come to church this week (with the added bonus of getting to meet her family and see her cute baby grandson). So, right around the time that the baby was being blessed, we looked behind us and Lavina was walking in! We were so grateful! She was a little more distracted this week in church because she brought her six-month old son and she was worried about him. But with the help of lots of silent prayers and the baby's angel disposition, I don't think he cried once during the three hour block. He was actually really happy and smiley during the meetings. We have another lesson with Lavina this week and plan to invite her to baptism because she is ready. She just is.

We had a quick stop-in lesson with Carla this week and she brought up baptism. She thinks that her church does it wrong and explained what she thinks should happen. And it is almost identical to what we believe. We were able to share a few quick principles, but she said to get in touch with her this week to be able to talk more about it and help her with some service activities. We are so grateful for ways to be able to help her and demonstrate our desire to follow Christ in every way, including service.

We saw another miracle at church this week. We have not been able to meet with Nahal again or bring her to church because she is says she is too busy. And she is busy. We are so thankful though, for the member fellowshippers who invited her to take the lessons. They have really stepped up to the plate in inviting Nahal to come to church and participate in activities in the ward and continue to learn more. The miracle was that her mom, who speaks only Farsi, wanted to come to church even though she could not understand a word. She has been reading the Book of Mormon in Farsi that was left with Nahal by previous missionaries and I know that she knows it is true. We were walking with her after church to help her find her grandson who had come with her and she just stopped and clutched her chest and said, with tears in her eyes, "I like here. I like how I feel." She feels the Spirit. Unfortunately, she still lives about 80% of the time in Iran, so there is not much we can do about teaching her and helping her to be baptized (it is politically dangerous for her--we have to get permission from the mission president to teach Muslims), but it was a testimony builder that there are people who are ready to hear and RECEIVE the Gospel. She is humble and loves God and wants to follow Him. And there have to be others who have the same desires.

I have really loved starting to memorize D&C 121:34-46 this last week. Surprisingly, it is coming significantly faster to me than I anticipated. I must need to learn these verses. And I am grateful that Heavenly Father is blessing me in this pursuit. They truly are great instruction and inspiration. This week in my study, I really appreciated Alma chapter 49. Who knew that the war chapters in Alma had such profound instruction? I am grateful for that account. But I liked verse 8 that described their preparations for war as "a way which never had been known among the children of Lehi..." I think that applies to our preparations to share the Gospel and live according to our knowledge as well. It is in a way inspired by the Lord, rather than be men. Also, verses 23-24 struck a chord with me that the Nephites were prepared and all of their lives were spared, but they still suffered injuries that were in some cases severe. In our lives that is true as well. The enemy may have minors successes or be able to harm us a little in our struggle (due to our fallen nature), but if we rely on Christ and are prepared as prescribed by our Heavenly Father we will not fail. We can't.

Bennett and Verna got baptized in Oak Harbor on Saturday (I didn't get to go, but that is ok). A knock on the door and eighteen weeks later, they are MORMONS!!!!!  So excited and happy for them!

Love you all and hope that you are doing well!
S. Turley


The District before Transfers: E. Wells, E. Schiess, E. Combe, E. Haupu, S. Lawson, E. Beatty, E. Holt, S. Tuttle, S. Smith, S. Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment