Dear President Fam and Friends,
I don't have a whole lot to report this week as we didn't have loads of time in our area. We had lots of meetings, a special conference with Elder Paul V. Johnson of the Seventy (he said a prayer during General Conference!) and interviews this week. Along with my first exchange as an STL. Crazy! We are excited to be able to put all our efforts into our area this week and especially finding. I had a thought that we need to set a date with the Lord to be able to find a family to teach. I had that thought come to me actually while we were teaching some members in our ward and they were talking about setting some dates to invite neighbors over for dinner.
This is not a plea for help or anything, but I just wanted to share this story with you. The grocery stores in this area are all really expensive and we are low on funds nearly every month and we haven't had too many dinner appointments for the last two weeks. But this month we said "if we pay a generous fast offering, the Lord will provide." And what do you know? He has. We have had so many members call us and say, "I made way too much food for dinner last night, which never happens. Would you like the leftovers?" Or, (this reminds me of Lari) our bishop's wife woke up at 4:30 a.m. thinking "People are hungry, I have to fix this!" (They also have a daughter on a mission) And the ward had a few events this week and gave us all the food they had left over from them. Miracles. The Lord really will "pour you out a blessing that there is not room enough to receive it." He has showed us this week that He is true to His word and mindful of us.
Also, the Bishop's father passed away this week and his wife invited us to attend the funeral because she knew that many members of the community that were not of our faith would be there. We didn't get a chance to talk to too many people, but it was really good for me to go. The Spirit was really strong there and it was good for me to associate the Spirit with someone's passing. As soon as we walked into the church building I was overwhelmed with the Spirit. I was pretty weepy during most of the service remembering my mom and feeling true sympathy for the family. But it was very healing for me and I was grateful for that opportunity. It just made me think about my mom's life motto: "Bad things happen in the best possible way."
We were able to teach a youth fireside on missionary work last night with the elders in our ward. We taught them a little out of Preach My Gospel and then role played with them for the rest of the time. They role played inviting and answering questions. It was really fun! I hate role plays, but Sister Bonham said it best when she said that they are "the best worst thing." It's weird, but you really can receive revelation during role plays and they help a lot. Mr. Bitter/Mrs. Bennett (orchestra conductors) used to say "We rehearse to get the stupid our right now, so we don't mess up during performances." That is true doctrine. That's how role plays are. You get the stupid out and receive revelation. Role play inviting your friends to learn more!
I really loved reading Alma 60 this week. It was the letter than Moroni wrote to Pahoran giving him a hard time for not sending more troops or provisions. It just made me feel better that even though Moroni is referred to as a man who could cause the gates of hell to shake, he was still human and still drew quick conclusions and made mistakes. We all are, even if we are awesome :)
Love ya lots!
Sister Turley
PS--This picture is of me and Sister Adams (from Eager, AZ) on my first exchange as an STL!
No comments:
Post a Comment