Dear Friends and Family,
Sorry this is late, but we just got finished with our Mission Christmas Devotional. It was wonderful and have lots of music. And guess who played the organ? Me! It was terrifying because I think it has been about two years since I have actually played. But it was great to play loud and get in the Christmas Spirit. And I got to see Elder Bloomfield! Yesterday was also our ward's Christmas program and I was enlisted to accompany the choir and play a piano duet. The duet was "O Holy Night," and it brought back fond memories of playing that piece on the violin with Cami on the cello and Grandma Hunt on the piano :)
We are improving slowly, but surely in Mount Vernon. We found two new investigators this week, both of which were former investigators. One of them in named Melissa and she has PTSD, which makes it hard for her to meet new people. During an exchange, Sister Holt met with her and she had told them they were not interested. I think they may have just talked with her through the door, because she informed us that she never invites anyone in--it just stresses her out too much. I didn't know that Sister Holt had talked with her before and when it was my turn to be on exchange in Mount Vernon, we decided to visit her when one of our appointments cancelled. Miraculously, her husband was home (he had a root canal that morning--of all things to keep him home when we knocked...) and answered the door. He invited us in and we were able to chat with Melissa for about a half an hour and share a scripture with her and she invited us to come back. She even gave us a hug afterwards, which is huge for most people with PTSD. Christmas Miracles! I hope that we can introduce her to some more wonderful people in the ward that will help her overcome her challenges, because she has loved everything that she has learned in the past.
We dropped a bunch of investigators that were not progressing this week! Which is more exciting than it probably should be...But we are grateful to have more time to devote to those that are earnest seekers of truth and honestly desiring to change their lives to follow the Savior. Our "Dump 'em or Dunk 'em" list is growing smaller!!!!
I made a goal earlier this week to finish the book of Mark in the New Testament before Christmas. I have really enjoyed this opportunity to more intently reflect on the life of Christ during this Christmas season. I have studied the last few chapters containing an account of the Savior's Atonement during the last few days and I feel like I am continuing to understand more and more how the the Atonement works and what a precious gift it is to us. I was particularly moving to read the account in Mark chapter 14 of the Savior's condemnation by the high priest. After He is given the death sentence, the people began to mock him and spit on him and even "...the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands" (v. 65). It was amazing to me to realize that the Savior truly did descend below ALL. Even the servants struck the Savior. And I am grateful that He was willing to do that for us fallible humans so that we can enjoy all the blessings that He will receive and our Father has to give to us.
I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas and thanks for all you do!
Love,
Sister Turley
Pictures--We got snow this week! I was on exchange in Arlington with Sister Wayman when the storm hit and our extended exchange (we had a "car fast" on Thursday in the mission so we were going to exchange back on Friday morning) turned into a really extended exchange because the roads were too scary to drive on until the mid-afternoon. The first picture is outside the apartment in Arlington and the second is on our way home at Lake McMurray in Mount Vernon.
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment