Monday, February 3, 2014

S. Turley--More from Mt. Vernon

Dear Friends and Family,

I actually really enjoyed the Superbowl yesterday. We decided to tract from 3-6 during the game. It was a surprisingly inspired decision. There were only a few people that were annoyed with us, and it was especially helpful that the Seahawks were kicking tail so everyone was in a good mood. We decided that the first thing we were going to do was ask what the score was and it was a GREAT way to loosen people up. We knew that it was not likely that anyone would let us in while the game was going on, so I prayed specifically that we would be able to leave a good impression and I think that we did. I am also grateful that the game allowed an outlet for the people to see that we are more human that they probably usually think missionaries are. We exulted with them when more points were scored and they were able to see that the Gospel is for everyone! It might sound dumb, but I think it allowed for more than just one victory. Who knew? Were we a little sorry for the missionaries in Colorado, though...

Dominick as you know, is no longer on date. He was really upset because he is really ready to be baptized. The bad news is that he dropped the bomb on us that he got pulled over AGAIN for driving without a license and has another court date with pending sentencing. So there is no baptism date that we can set in the foreseeable future. Darn it.

I have about twenty verses until I finish the Book of Mormon. It has only taken me 10 months, haha. But it has been the best read yet. I am grateful that I have been able to put time and effort into reading it and that I have really been able to understand and appreciate it this time around. My favorite verse thus far in the last couple chapters is Moroni 9:6. In verse four, Mormon is sharing with his son Moroni that the people are very hardened and impossibly wicked. However in verse six, he shares : "And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God." It was a good reminder that I am supposed to be here and to continue to work hard. I am grateful for the example of those individuals in the Book of Mormon who served tirelessly and even gave their lives to help others partake of salvation.

Oh, remember Sandra from Oak Harbor? The Sisters in OH just informed me that she is getting baptized on February 15th! I am so glad that she finally feels comfortable with the decision to be baptized! She will be so blessed for it! I am also grateful that our efforts with her were not wasted, and that there is a reason why the Lord would not easily let her go. :)

Love you all and thanks for all you do!
Sister Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment