Dear Family and Friends,
Despite our limited proselyting schedule this week, we actually had one of the best weeks we have had in a long time. We found two new investigators (doubled our teaching pool)! We were able to use the new teaching method with both investigators that we learned in our specialized training (with Brothers Donaldson and Gonzalez from the Mission Department in Salt Lake) and zone conference. They really emphasized allowing the investigator to teach themselves and lead you to the things they are looking for. I like to call it the "Discovery" method because the investigators are able to discover what they want and we, as missionaries, and able to discover what they need. Basically, we show the investigators the pictures in the pamphlet and ask them what they see and go from there. We really don't say much, which requires a lot of self control, because I just want to tell people all that I know. Using the pamphlet is hard for me, and neither of the lessons we taught were very good, but we were definitely blessed for trying.
I was feeling pretty yucky all week with the cold that Sister Holt lovingly shared with me. And guess what! Our zone conference was with the Mt. Vernon, Bellingham, and Ferndale zones. So Elder Bloomfield was able to give me a blessing. It was really nice to have family there to help me and I am so grateful and proud of Elder Bloomfield for be willing and worthy to exercise the Priesthood when I needed it.
We had two exchanges this week with the Sisters in Oak Harbor 2nd and Firetrail wards. They were great! I especially needed to go on that exchange with Sister Glancy (my granddaughter! Sister Slade trained her) this week. I was grateful for inspired words that she shared with me that encouraged me and comforted me in my trials this week and the last several weeks. I am grateful for that opportunity to receive help as I fulfill my calling.
This week in my studies, I came across a scripture in the Doctrine & Covenants about commandments. D&C 59:4 says, "And they shall also be crowned with blessings from above, yea, and with commandments not a few, and with revelations in their time—they that are faithful and diligent before me." It was interesting to me that the righteous and faithful are given more commandments. A few weeks ago in a training, President Bonham instructed us that commandments always are provided to yield one of two (and sometimes both) outcomes. They are (1) Protection, or (2) Blessings. I definitely know that this is true. And I would add one more outcome. They give us direction and make out choices easier. As we use our agency to make good decisions and to follow God, we are protected, blessed and receive more commandments that make our life easier. We don't have to wonder whether or not to do one thing or another, but God points the way. He will tell us what to do when we are obedient and our will becomes one with our Father's.
Love ya lots!
Sister Turley
No comments:
Post a Comment