Monday, April 7, 2014

Trials and Tribulations for the Truth--S. Turley in the WEM

 Dear Family and Friends,

I loved Conference! It was exactly what I needed. Last week was a horrible, horrible, horrible week. I do not think that I have been the recipient of so many unkind words and feelings as I have this week. People told us that we were out of place for sharing the gospel, bad people for trying to help others change, told "Don't ever come back!" and had too many door slams to count. As Elder Holland was speaking, I just sat there and cried. Either Elder Holland knew what I was going to need to hear, or I had to have a terrible week to appreciate what he was going to say. We are being persecuted because what we share is TRUE!!!!!! I also cried when President Monson talked about the Gilbert Temple Dedication and Cultural Celebration because it made me miss my brother. The prophet was talking about my little brother!

Dominick is progressing so well! He attended the Priesthood Sesssion of General Conference of his own accord and he really liked it :) He really enjoyed President Eyring's address, so I look forward to listening to it in the car this week. He really wants to be baptized! Someday it WILL happen!

We have a new investigator and he is on date. His name is Dan and he is just jumping in the water! Before we even finished teaching, he was putting himself on date. He wanted to do it as soon as possible. So, we set the date for April 26th. So exciting!

This week I started the Book of Mormon again and have been reading in chapter one of Preach My Gospel. I have really learned a lot this week! I am starting to figure out power as well. I noticed something in Alma 17:3 that I never have before, that was really helpful. The words, "given themselves." The sons of Mosiah had "given themselves to much prayer and fasting." They had offered their whole selves to the Lord to be able to have the power and strength to act as His representatives. I do not know why I struggle to give my whole self to the Lord because I desperately want to! Oh, yeah, I am human. So frustrating. But I am going to do better this week than I did last week! And as I was pondering, I had an epiphany that I am doing better at having power and authority in my calling than I thought I was. I thought of two experiences that I had this week. (1) We were visiting with a less active and she told me that she envied my conviction and firm knowledge. She said that she recognized it and that it was inspiring to her and it made her want to do and be better. (2) I bore my testimony during Fast and Testimony Meeting last Sunday and one of the women sitting behind me leaned up afterwards and said, "You have such a great testimony. Every time you open your mouth,  this profound reverence comes over me and I feel the spirit so strong. It's very powerful. You have a great testimony." I was grateful to remember these experiences and recognize the success that I AM having.

Love you lots!
Sister Turley

Oh! Pictures! After a whole transfer, we finally got a computer that will let us send pics!
Fun stuff around Mt. Vernon.






No comments:

Post a Comment