Monday, May 12, 2014

Coming to you from Everett!--S. Turley

Dear Family and Friends,

I am excited to be in the new area. I am now in Everett! It is a different world from the rural Washignton where I have been for the last six months! We have some good work in front of us we inherited half of the ward from a set of Elders that were transferred out on Tuesday. We are still trying to find a good balance between working with the investigators that we have from the south part of the area and trying to work the north area as well. Unfortunately, the Elders did not set many appointments with the investigators that they had, so I am afraid that some of them have taken advantage of the opportunity of switching missionaries and are trying to hide :( This ward has the best ward missionaries that I have ever seen. They are ALWAYS more than willing to come to lessons with us and fellowship investigators. And they participate and invite! Yay! I am grateful for that! It means so much more to the investigators when a "real person" (at least someone without a nametag) shares why the Gospel is important. The Ward Mission Leader also has it all together and is super organized, so that is a blessing as well.

We have a few individuals that are on date to be baptized, but they all seem to be struggling with coming to church and keeping commitments. We plan to "get serious" with many of them this week and help them understand the importance of attending church and keeping commitments. I feel like most of them are sincere in their intent, so I believe that they will understand if we just help them a little more to know the "why" behind what we do to live the Gospel.

In my study this past week, I have really enjoyed 2 Nephi. I am starting to get it! Twenty-two years later, haha. Better late than never! I loved in chapters 6 and 7 the insights that Isaiah had concerning the coming of Christ and the nature of his followers. I love that he states over and again "they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Because we serve him whom we cannot see, or know inside and out, some people may think that our efforts to follow him are silly or for naught. However, we are blessed to see the better side of the coin. We receive blessings for following Christ and we will be able to live with the King of Kings when he comes if we are faithful. We will not be ashamed because as Peter said to Christ, "to who shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life" (John 6:67). Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and makes everything good and righteous and true possible. I am so grateful for his Atonement and his perfect life lived for us.

Have a great week!
Love ya lots!
Sister Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment