Monday, June 16, 2014

Baptisms!--S. Turley in the WEM

Dear Family and Friends,

I can't believe that I forgot to put this in my letter last week: DOMINICK GOT BAPTIZED!!!!! On June 7th, to be exact. I was able to go back to Mt. Vernon for the occasion, since it was within six weeks of my being transferred. Janette was also baptized and Vickie is being baptized on June 21st. It is SOOOOO good to see it all pay off! Especially after working so closely with this awesome family for six months. Dominick has made so many great and really hard changes in his life. He and Alejandra are huge examples to me of trusting in the Lord and moving forward with faith, even when it seems impossible. I am so excited to come back to Washington next year for their sealing! It is going to be so special!

Also, this week is transfers and I am staying in the View Ridge Ward. However, both of my companions are being transferred which should be interesting. It will be rather quiet around these parts. I wonder if it will still be a three-pack or if we will go back down to two.

This week was a rather interesting week. We did not spend a whole lot of time in our area with doctors appointments and other appointments, but the Lord definitely magnified our time and we were able to reach standards again this week. Round 2 reaching standards!!!

Also, four our of five Aguirres got baptized and confirmed this weekend. It was definitely a battle getting them there, but they did it! A few hours before they were scheduled to have the interview, the mom left a message saying that she needed to cancel the baptism and then would not answer the phone. So, we promptly went over to her house and tried to talk to her. She would not let us in and wouldn't talk to us either. Shortly afterward, the dad showed up with the kids. He ended up bringing them to the interview and signing their permission slips. He had previously told us that he needed more time to prepare to be baptized, so it meant a lot that he was willing to help his kids progress in the Gospel. The mom showed up to the baptism and wanted to be baptized again, so our district leader hurried in to do her interview. It all worked out, thankfully, in the midst of constant pressure from the adversary. He will not leave us alone. Their confirmations in Sacrament meeting yesterday were truly inspiring. I think it was beneficial to open our eyes to see the potential that they have and how much our Heavenly Father really loves them. It has been a lot of stress getting them to this point, but it is just because they have wonderful things in store for them. They won this battle!

The Guzman family is still progressing rapidly. They are as hungry as ever for the word of God and they love the Gospel. They went ring shopping yesterday and they are planning to get married in the next few weeks! We are thinking of moving the baptism up to the 28th of June, because no one will be in town July 5th. They are ready. And, the bishop really wants to throw a big party. We have decided that the Lord keeps sending us people that need to be married because the Bishop has a talent for throwing parties and they will be more than taken care of in his hands.

In my studies this week, I read a really great chapter for the Aguirres. It was 2 Nephi 32. It was great instruction on HOW to endure to the end. This is my paraphrase: "I feel like you still have questions about what to do after you are baptized. Well...you should read the scriptures, listen to the Holy Ghost and pray. Keep these commandments, and you will know what to do." I had never noticed that this chapter was instructions on what to do post-baptism. I am grateful that we continue to learn as we study the scriptures and can gain more insights on how to live our lives.

Love you lots!
Sister Turley


Dominick and Janette baptism

The Aguirre kids

No comments:

Post a Comment